back to all workshops > portrait painting starting methods
DATES: 4 to 8 September 2023 | 5 days, 30 instructed hours total
TIMES: 9:30 to 16:30 (lunch from 12:30 to 13:30)
INSTRUCTOR: Tina Garrett
LIMIT: 12 students maximum
COST: € 820
INCLUDED WITH COST: Daily lunch & refreshments, model costs, easels
NOT INCLUDED: Painting materials (see below), accommodation, travel fare
RECOMMENDED LEVEL: All levels welcome
ABOUT THIS COURSE
Course DescriptionAmerican painter and ARC Living Master Tina Garrett shares with her students the practical methods she uses in her award-winning portraiture to help artists make the best paintings they have ever made. This workshop is perfect for anyone struggling with portrait painting.
Tina will demonstrate how to pose and paint from the live model. Using Tina's practical and easy-to-use strategies, students will learn:
- how to see and simplify values;
- how to create form in oil paint;
- how to understand edges and chroma to control your composition and create dramatic portraiture;
- how to organize your palette to mix realistic colors, values, and temperatures for different skin types;
- two easy strategies to achieve an accurate likeness in your portraiture.
If your portraits look cartoonish or dead, this is the workshop for you. Tina will demonstrate three oil painting starting methods, including open grisaille, accurate color wash, and Tina’s favorite: selective start. This will encourage students to discover the process that will help you achieve your best work.
Each morning, Tina will demonstrate and lecture. Each afternoon, Tina will work one-on-one with every artist as they paint from from the live model. Tina’s goal is to be as generous with her knowledge as possible, walking each student through the concepts so when artists leave her workshops, they are able to take their own painting to new heights. All levels welcome!
Course MaterialsThe following materials are required for participation in this course.
Items on the list marked * are available to buy at the atelier.OIL COLORS
Paints should be ''Artist / Professional'' quality. No ''Student'' quality paints please.
Tina's preferred brands are indicated for each color.
- Transparent Oxide Red (Rembrandt)
- Ultramarine Blue Deep (Rembrandt)
- Kings Blue (Rembrandt)
- Phthalo Turquoise (Gamblin)
- Cadmium Orange Deep (Gamblin)
- Cadmium Red Medium (Gamblin)
- Quinacridone Magenta (Gamblin)
- Green Gold (Gamblin)
- Permanent Mauve (Winsor & Newton)
- Yellow Ochre (Utrecht)
- Winsor Yellow (Winsor & Newton)
- Indian Yellow Deep (Winsor & Newton)
- Ivory Black (Gamblin)
- Titanium White (Gamblin)
- * Gamsol
- 5 stretched and primed fine-weave canvas, size 30 x 40 cm
- Palette knife
- Paper towels
- 1 clean empty glass jar to rinse brushes
Tina recommends her brush set through Rosemary & Co. You can view types of brushes included in her set, or place an order, here.
Workshop ScheduleSTUDIO HOURS
- 9:00 | Studio doors open
- 9:30 to 12:30 | Morning lessons
- 12:30 to 13:30 | Lunch break
- 13:30 to 16:30 | Afternoon lessons
- 17:00 | Studio closed
- Mornings | Demo: The morning sessions feature live demonstrations from Tina, who will illustrate different methods for starting a portrait painting: open grisaille, accurate color wash, and selective start.
- Afternoons | Practice: Students will paint from a different model each afternoon, exploring different starting methods in oil paint with one-on-one guidance and instruction from Tina.
Financial AidYou may be eligible for funding for this workshop from Werktuig PPO (permanente professionele ontwikkeling, or “continuous professional development”) if the following applies to you:
- You are employed by a Dutch company or organization in the creative or cultural sector.
- You are a self-employed freelancer in the Netherlands in the creative or cultural sector.
How can I check if I am eligible?
Businesses within the creative or cultural sectors are categorized by SBI code.
The list of eligible SBI codes can be found here.
How does this funding scheme work?
Werktuig PPO finances one-third of the total cost of the course, with the remaining amount to be contributed by you or your employer.
Are you interested in enrolling in multiple courses at DARA? Werktuig PPO offers a maximum contribution of € 2000 in funds per 12 months.
How can I apply?
Apply online at: https://werktuigppo.nl/
Applications must be submitted by students. DARA is not affiliated with Werktuig PPO and cannot apply on a student’s behalf. Questions regarding this funding scheme may be emailed to email@example.com
Can students at DARA apply for the STAP budget?
Not at this time.
Are there any other discounts or scholarships available for workshops at DARA?
Not at this time.