back to all workshops > alla prima portrait painting (advanced level)
DATES: 11 to 13 September 2023
TIMES: 9:30 to 16:30 (lunch from 12:30 to 13:30, 30 instructed hours total)
INSTRUCTOR: Benjamin Gouttard
LIMIT: 12 students maximum
COST: € 475
INCLUDED WITH COST: Daily lunch & refreshments, model costs, easels
NOT INCLUDED: All other painting materials (see below), accommodation, travel fare
RECOMMENDED LEVEL: This course is intended for oil painters who are already familiar with the basics and are looking to develop their skills further.
ABOUT THIS COURSE
Course DescriptionIn this intensive three-day course with French painter Benjamin Gouttard, we will explore fundamental principles of figurative painting with the goal of awakening a more intuitive working approach. From drawing to painting, Benjamin will propose his way to approach the realization of a portrait in oils, from the basic principles of proportions and composition, to the study of flesh tones, likeness, and presence.
Beyond the technical aspects of painting, Benjamin will encourage students to explore what the presence of the models sitting in front of us can allow to bring to life on the canvas: how to feel free not just to copy the model, but to understand him or her, in order to combine a mix of both the painter and the model's presence into the final painting.
By working alla prima (wet into wet) in relatively short three-hour sessions, this approach to painting reveals a sense of spontaneity that asks us to get straight to the point, allowing for honesty to reflect in our works. Benjamin will give live painting demonstrations in the mornings for students to see every step of his process, and he will work with students one-on-one as they paint the portrait from life for the remainder of the course. By the end of the course, students will complete 6 portrait paintings from a diverse range of male and female models.
Course MaterialsThe following materials are required for participation in this course.
Items on the list marked * are available to buy at the atelier.OIL COLORS
Paints should be ''Artist / Professional'' quality. No ''Student'' quality paints please.
- Titanium White
- Yellow Ochre (pale or medium)
- Cadmium Red (light or medium)
- Ivory Black
- Cobalt Blue
Students are welcome to bring additional colors if desired.
- * Linseed Oil
- * Gamsol
- 5 stretched and primed fine-weave canvas, cotton or linen, size 30 x 40 cm
- Palette knife
- Metal palette cups
- Paper towels
- 1 clean empty glass jar to rinse brushes
- A pencil + sketchbook for sketching & taking notes
Please bring a variety of brushes ranging in sizes #4 to #10.
These should be a mix of both sable- or synthetic-hair brushes, as well as bristle hair brushes. Any brush shape – rounds, flats, and filberts – is fine.
Workshop ScheduleSTUDIO HOURS
- 9:00 | Studio doors open
- 9:30 to 12:30 | Morning lessons
- 12:30 to 13:30 | Lunch break
- 13:30 to 16:30 | Afternoon lessons
- 17:00 | Studio closed
- Morning | Demo & Practice: Benjamin will start the course with a short introduction and live demo from the model, to illustrate his approach to painting the portrait alla prima. Following his demonstration, students will be instructed in preparing their canvas with an imprimatura.
- Afternoon | Practice: With one-on-one instruction and guidance from Benjamin, students will paint a 3-hour alla prima portrait from the live model.
Days 2 & 3
- Morning & Afternoon| Practice: Every morning and afternoon session welcomes a new portrait model. By the end of the course, students will have painted a total of 5 alla prima portraits of 5 diverse live models, with individual attention and instruction from Benjamin.
Financial AidYou may be eligible for funding for this workshop from Werktuig PPO (permanente professionele ontwikkeling, or “continuous professional development”) if the following applies to you:
- You are employed by a Dutch company or organization in the creative or cultural sector.
- You are a self-employed freelancer in the Netherlands in the creative or cultural sector.
How can I check if I am eligible?
Businesses within the creative or cultural sectors are categorized by SBI code.
The list of eligible SBI codes can be found here.
How does this funding scheme work?
Werktuig PPO finances one-third of the total cost of the course, with the remaining amount to be contributed by you or your employer.
Are you interested in enrolling in multiple courses at DARA? Werktuig PPO offers a maximum contribution of € 2000 in funds per 12 months.
How can I apply?
Apply online at: https://werktuigppo.nl/
Applications must be submitted by students. DARA is not affiliated with Werktuig PPO and cannot apply on a student’s behalf. Questions regarding this funding scheme may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Can students at DARA apply for the STAP budget?
Not at this time.
Are there any other discounts or scholarships available for workshops at DARA?
Not at this time.