back to all workshops > academic model drawing
DATES: 14 to 18 August 2023 | 5 days, 30 instructed hours total
TIMES: 9:30 to 16:30 (lunch from 12:30 to 13:30)
INSTRUCTOR: Landon Clay
COST: € 725
LIMIT: 12 students
INCLUDED WITH COST: Daily lunch & refreshments, model costs, easels
NOT INCLUDED: Drawing materials (see below), accommodation, travel fare
RECOMMENDED LEVEL: All levels welcome
ABOUT THIS COURSE
Course DescriptionIn this intensive 30 hour course with American figurative artist Landon Clay, we will examine the human figure by drawing with an emphasis on structure and form in order to improve naturalistic figure drawing.
Landon will describe his figure drafting process, which can be also applied to painted portraits and figures. The course will focus on improving the artist’s proportion, anatomical and structural knowledge, likeness, and gesture over the progression of a block-in to a rendered drawing.
The great advantage to working from life rather than from a photograph is the opportunity to understand how a model settles into a pose, or to catch a previously unconsidered resting position. By carefully observing bodily comportment, we will create more naturalistic and thoughtful work. This careful observation from life with the model will yield skill improvements, which may be applied to portraiture, still life, and other subjects.
Over the course of the five days, we will start with warm-up shorter sketches, and have at least one sustained longer pose of 20 hours. This combination of short and long poses will allow the students to first familiarize themselves with drawing the figure from life, and then permit a careful and thorough academic study.
Course MaterialsThe following materials are required for participation in this course.
Items on the list marked * are available to buy at the atelier.REQUIRED MATERIALS
- Several sheets of drawing paper, minimum A2 size, white or cream colored (instructor’s recommended brands: Strathmore, Canson, or Fabriano)
- Graphite pencils: 2B, HB, 2H, 4H (Landon recommends at least 3 of each pencil)
- Tombow Mono Zero eraser pen, for fine detailed erasure
- 2 kneaded erasers (Landon’s recommended brands: Prismacolor or Faber-Castell)
- Paper towels
- 1 roll artist’s tape
- Box cutter or craft knife, for sharpening pencils
- Sandpaper board, for sharpening pencils
These additional items are not required for class, but students may find them useful to bring:
- Clean paper blending stump
- Soft-hair paintbrushes
- Bristle-hair paintbrushes
Workshop ScheduleSTUDIO HOURS
- 9:00 | Studio doors open
- 9:30 to 12:30 | Morning lessons
- 12:30 to 13:30 | Lunch break
- 13:30 to 16:30 | Afternoon lessons
- 17:00 | Studio closed
DAYS 1 - 3
- Mornings & Afternoons | Practice: Students will draw from the live model, starting with a range of shorter poses in order to practice gesture, structure, and block-in. In addition to individual critique, Landon will also draw alongside his students and call students to his easel at each various stages of his work to illustrate core drawing concepts.
DAYS 4 & 5
- Mornings & Afternoons | Practice: Students will draw from the live model with one-on-one guidance from Landon, focusing on one extended pose. This longer study will enable students to explore an academic approach to rendering, modeling the figure form by form and working towards the completion of a highly resolved figure drawing.
Financial AidYou may be eligible for funding for this workshop from Werktuig PPO (permanente professionele ontwikkeling, or “continuous professional development”) if the following applies to you:
- You are employed by a Dutch company or organization in the creative or cultural sector.
- You are a self-employed freelancer in the Netherlands in the creative or cultural sector.
How can I check if I am eligible?
Businesses within the creative or cultural sectors are categorized by SBI code.
The list of eligible SBI codes can be found here.
How does this funding scheme work?
Werktuig PPO finances one-third of the total cost of the course, with the remaining amount to be contributed by you or your employer.
Are you interested in enrolling in multiple courses at DARA? Werktuig PPO offers a maximum contribution of € 2000 in funds per 12 months.
How can I apply?
Apply online at: https://werktuigppo.nl/
Applications must be submitted by students. DARA is not affiliated with Werktuig PPO and cannot apply on a student’s behalf. Questions regarding this funding scheme may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Can students at DARA apply for the STAP budget?
Not at this time.
Are there any other discounts or scholarships available for workshops at DARA?
Not at this time.