back to all workshops > narrative self-portrait painting
DATES: 24 to 26 May 2023 | 3 days, 18 instructed hours total
TIMES: 9:30 to 16:30 (lunch from 12:30 to 13:30)
INSTRUCTOR: Melisa Calabria
LIMIT: 15 students maximum
COST: € 475
INCLUDED WITH COST: Daily lunch & refreshments, canvas, easels
NOT INCLUDED: All other painting materials (see below), accommodation, travel fare
RECOMMENDED LEVEL: All levels welcome (some prior experience with oils is ideal)
ABOUT THIS COURSE
Course DescriptionMelisa Calabria is an Argentinian painter who focuses on self-portraits and storytelling. A student of Ricardo Celma and Odd Nerdrum, she underlines the importance of causality in her narratives, imbued with a dreamlike atmosphere of yearning and melancholy.
In this course, Melisa will share with her students the philosophy and methods of the Nerdrum school, demonstrate how to prepare a traditional canvas ground, and will guide students step-by-step through painting a self-portrait from life.
Starting with developing an idea from a compositional sketch, students will be encouraged to consider elements of narrative in their work as they paint their own portrait. This course combines both the practical study of how to paint with oils, with philosophical discussion that addresses the questions of why we as painters are compelled to paint, and what it is we are driven to express.
Course MaterialsThe following materials are required for participation in this course.
Items on the list marked * are available to buy at the atelier.
Paints should be ''Artist / Professional'' quality. No ''Student'' quality paints please.
- Titanium White
- Yellow Ochre
- Cadmium Red OR Vermillion
- Mars Black OR Ivory Black
- * Linseed Oil
- * Gamsol
- Palette knife
- Metal palette cups
- 1 clean empty glass jar
- Paper towels
All canvas used for this workshop is provided by the studio.
- A2 size drawing paper, 80 gsm or heavier
- White chalk
- Conté à Paris pastel pencil & pastel stick - 1 of each in the same color. A dark color like brown, red, green, or sepia would work best.
- * Kneaded eraser
- A utility knife for pencil sharpening
- A variety of round brushes in small to large sizes, both bristle hair and soft hair
- A variety of flat or filbert brushes in small to large sizes, both bristle hair and soft hair
Workshop ScheduleSTUDIO HOURS
- 9:00 | Studio doors open
- 9:30 to 12:30 | Morning lessons
- 12:30 to 13:30 | Lunch break
- 13:30 to 16:30 | Afternoon lessons
- 17:00 | Studio closed
- Morning | Introduction & Discussion: Melisa will discuss her background at the Nerdrum School and the philosophy of the "Kitsch" movement, followed by a a discussion on the importance of narrative in painting. Melisa will encourage each student to consider what compels them to find purpose in painting, and what they wish to express in their own self-portraits.
- Afternoon | Practice: Students compose and draw their self-portraits from a mirror, using chalk and pastel
- Morning | Demo & Practice: Students will learn a traditional technique to prepare their own canvas ground;
- Afternoon | Practice: Students transfer their drawings and begin their self-portrait painting
- Morning & Afternoon | Practice: Completion of self-portrait paintings
Financial AidYou may be eligible for funding for this workshop from Werktuig PPO (permanente professionele ontwikkeling, or “continuous professional development”) if the following applies to you:
- You are employed by a Dutch company or organization in the creative or cultural sector.
- You are a self-employed freelancer in the Netherlands in the creative or cultural sector.
How can I check if I am eligible?
Businesses within the creative or cultural sectors are categorized by SBI code.
The list of eligible SBI codes can be found here.
How does this funding scheme work?
Werktuig PPO finances one-third of the total cost of the course, with the remaining amount to be contributed by you or your employer.
Are you interested in enrolling in multiple courses at DARA? Werktuig PPO offers a maximum contribution of € 2000 in funds per 12 months.
How can I apply?
Apply online at: https://werktuigppo.nl/
Applications must be submitted by students. DARA is not affiliated with Werktuig PPO and cannot apply on a student’s behalf. Questions regarding this funding scheme may be emailed to email@example.com
Can students at DARA apply for the STAP budget?
Not at this time.
Are there any other discounts or scholarships available for workshops at DARA?
Not at this time.