Part-Time Programme > Portrait Drawing
with MISCHA TRANQUILLI
FALL TRIMESTER DATES: 26 September to 10 December 2022
CLASS SCHEDULE: Tuesdays & Wednesdays, 19:00 - 22:00 (22 classes total)
INSTRUCTOR: Mischa Tranquilli
LIMIT: 9 students maximum
TUITION: €560 (inclusive of model costs)
This course is fully booked.
All incoming applications will be placed on a waiting list.
Top row: examples by the instructor of two-hour portrait sketches; bottom row: examples of students at work during class.
The foundation to painting from the model, this course places a strong emphasis on structure, constructive anatomy, and the depiction of convincing portraiture from direct observation.
Duration: The full programme is three trimesters.
Duration: The full programme is three trimesters.
- Drawing competently from a model is integral to the figurative artist's development. In this course, students study the fundamentals of drawing the portrait from life, starting with the drawing of constructive anatomy and progressing to fully rendered portraiture using charcoal, chalk, and pastel on toned paper.
In-depth demonstrations and examples are provided throughout the trimester, alongside extensive one-on-one instruction. Weekly sketchbook assignments are also given to be completed from home.
Students in the first trimester of the class repeatedly practice sketching the head from various angles in order to become proficient with a constructive drawing approach. The work completed during this term is less geared towards achieving "finished" portraits, and focuses primarily on understanding the head's morphology and structure. First-term students spend no more than three hours sketching a specific pose.
In the second trimester, students refine their structure drawings of the head, beginning to transition to working in tonal values. Works in this trimester are still completed in graphite.
Third Trimester & Continuing
Advanced level students from the third trimester onwards are given a greater amount of time to draw each pose, switching from a constructive drawing approach to tonal mass drawing, in preparation to begin painting from the model. From this period on, students work in charcoal on toned paper.
All work in this class is taught using comparative measurements.
- The following materials are required for participation in this course.
To download the Materials List as a PDF document, please click the button above.
Buying supplies at DARA?
Items on the list marked * are available to buy at the atelier.
Do you have any questions about any of the items on this list?
Please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to help.
The following materials list is intended for first trimester students.PAPER:
- A3 white drawing paper pad (minimum 25 sheets.) The paper should be 100 gsm or heavier, and not too smooth (no bristol board)
- * Faber-Castell HB graphite pencil. (At least one needed, recommended to bring several.)
DRAWING TOOLSOPTIONAL MATERIALS:
Not required for class, but recommended to bring:
- Pencil storage case/toolbox
- Portfolio case
- Notebook for taking notes
- Pencil extender
- Mahl stick
- Tombow Mono Zero precision eraser
LOCAL ART SUPPLY STORES:
Availability may vary between stores.
- The fee for this course is €560, which includes model fees.
The Dutch Atelier of Realist Art is a vocational school recognized by the Centraal Register Kort Beroepsonderwijs (CRKBO). Students enrolled in our courses are therefore exempt from paying additional VAT (BTW).
After being accepted into the course, a deposit must be paid within 14 days in order to reserve a space in the class. This amount is deducted from the balance of fees due.
The deposit can be paid through one of the following two options:
- Paying one half of the tuition fee. The second half is due by 29 August (4 weeks before the start of the trimester.)
- Signing up for our monthly installment plan, which charges one-third of the tuition fee at checkout. (This offer ends after 29 August.)
- Deposit Deadline
- 29 August 2022:
- Overdue Payments
If the course is full:
If the overdue payment is not settled within 5 business days, registration is cancelled and the space is offered to someone on the waiting list. The student is refunded.
If the course is not full:
If the overdue payment is not settled within 5 business days, a €10 late fee is added each week that the payment is overdue.
ACCEPTED PAYMENT METHODS
All fees are payable in EUR.
Bank Transfer: Payments can be transferred to DARA directly by bank:
Bank Name: Rabobank Haarlem
Beneficiary: Dutch Atelier of Realist Art
IBAN: NL04 RABO 0327 7614 31
SWIFT (BIC): RABONL2U
Branch Number: 3244
Bank Address: Dreef 40, 2012 HS Haarlem
Cash: Cash payments are paid at a scheduled appointment in person. Please do not mail cash.
Credit Card / Debit Card / Paypal / iDEAL: The studio processes all online payments through Paypal. Please note that there is an additional 3,5% card processing fee.
MONTHLY INSTALLMENT PLAN
For students who prefer to pay in smaller installments, DARA offers a monthly payment plan which bills one-third of the course fee every 30 days (3 installments total.)
The first installment is charged at checkout.
Payments are accepted through credit card, debit card, and Paypal. There is a 3,5% processing fee added.
The final day to sign up for the installment plan is 29 August.
- Missing an installment
- Before the trimester starts: any outstanding balance must be settled through another payment method by 29 August. If 29 August has already passed, then this amount must be settled within 5 business days.
- During the trimester: any outstanding balance must be settled through within 5 business days.
If overdue payments are not settled within these deadlines, the student's registration will be cancelled.
- STUDENT DISCOUNT
Are you 21 years old or younger OR are you studying full-time in a university or other accredited school during the Fall 2022 Trimester?
If so, you qualify for a 10% student discount off the cost of any part-time course at DARA.
To claim the discount, please email a copy of a valid photo ID which includes your date of birth, or your current student card to email@example.com before the start of the trimester.
Please note that the student discount is for part-time study courses, and does currently not apply for workshops.
If we anticipate that the trimester will need to be cancelled due to the coronavirus, we will notify students immediately. Students can opt to:
- transfer their enrollment to a different course (where spaces are available), or;
- receive a full refund*
If a student cannot come to class because of the coronavirus, any lesson material that was missed will be sent by email. Refunds are only given in exceptional circumstances (for example, if a student is hospitalized due to the coronavirus.)
If an instructor is infected or exposed to the coronavirus, make-up lessons will be scheduled at time convenient for the majority of students. Partial refunds are given if students cannot attend the make-up lessons.
* Refunds are processed within 7 days. Please note that DARA is only responsible for refunding tuition costs. The studio is not responsible for other associated expenses such as travel fare or purchase of class materials.
If you know in advance that you will not be able to attend at least 80% of the trimester, please do not enroll.
A few absences are not generally an issue (but please be in attendance for the first lesson of the term, especially if you are a new student.)
However, students who are frequently absent will miss valuable demonstrations, lectures, critiques, or other class discussions that will make it difficult to follow the curriculum, or fully benefit from the course.
- If you know you will be absent from class:
Absences are not refunded. Missed classes are not made up with an instructor in private lessons at a later time. However, students may come to the atelier during DARA's open studio hours to catch up on missed class work (uninstructed.)
To cancel your registration, please send a written notice to firstname.lastname@example.org
It is not possible to cancel for the current trimester and keep a place reserved in a future trimester instead. Registration is only open for one trimester at a time.
- Full Refund
* Note: If the trimester has already started, then the student is still required to pay the total cost of services rendered (calculated by the number of lessons the student attended.) The remaining balance is refunded.
- More than 60 days before the trimester:
- More than 30 days before the trimester:
- Fewer than 30 days before the trimester / After the trimester starts:
- Q: Is this course suitable for beginners?
A: This course is not intended for beginners. It's recommended that you are above beginner level and have prior experience working from life. Beginners are suggested to start with Introduction to Classical Drawing or Cast Drawing.
Q: Does this class teach the sight-size method?
A: No, we draw using comparative measurements based on constructive anatomy.
Q: Do students work from photographs?
A: No, we work from real models. Working from photographs is not taught in any course at DARA.
Q: I want to take this class, but I will probably have to miss some lessons. Can I still register?
A: Please make sure you can attend at least 80% of the lessons before you sign up.
For FAQs about DARA in general, click here.