back to all workshops > painting metals and glass
DATES: 10 to 14 July 2023
TIMES: 9:30 to 16:30 (lunch from 12:30 to 13:30, 30 instructed hours total)
INSTRUCTOR: Diego Glazer
LIMIT: 12 students maximum
COST: € 725
INCLUDED WITH COST: Daily lunch & refreshments, still life objects, easels
NOT INCLUDED: All other course materials (see below), accommodation, travel fare
RECOMMENDED LEVEL: All painting levels welcome ; basic competency in drawing from life is recommended
ABOUT THIS COURSE
Course DescriptionSome of the most astounding and mysterious elements we often marvel at in oil paintings are those with transparent or reflective qualities. Our mind struggles to figure out how an artist could possibly portray such an intricate object, whose appearance depends almost entirely on its surroundings!
This 5-day workshop with Mexican-American painter Diego Glazer will unveil the mysteries of painting metal and glass objects that appear real enough to touch. Through live demonstrations and individualized instruction, Diego will cover basic oil painting principles, color mixing, and brush handling techniques, to encourage students to learn to paint with confidence.
An essential course for still life painters, students will complete this workshop with a deeper knowledge of light, color, texture, and form, as well as a beautiful painting ready to frame.
Course MaterialsThe following materials are required for participation in this course.
Buying supplies at DARA?
Items on the list marked * are available to buy at the atelier.OIL COLORS
Paints should be ''Artist / Professional'' quality. No ''Student'' quality paints please.
- Titanium White
- Yellow Ochre Pale
- Venetian Red
- Raw Umber
- Burnt Umber
- Ultramarine Blue
- Ivory Black
- Liquin Original by Winsor & Newton
- * Gamsol
- 2 primed canvas or panels, size 20 x 30 cm
- Palette knife
- Metal palette cups
- 1 clean empty glass jar for brush cleaning
- Paper towels
- Optional: Note pad
- A variety of filbert brushes in small to medium sizes, bristle hair or soft hair
- A few small size pointed round brushes, bristle hair or soft hair
Workshop ScheduleSTUDIO HOURS
- 9:00 | Studio doors open
- 9:30 to 12:30 | Morning lessons
- 12:30 to 13:30 | Lunch break
- 13:30 to 16:30 | Afternoon lessons
- 17:00 | Studio closed
Ahead of the course, Diego will arrange a variety of still life compositions of various metallic & glass objects. Students will choose to paint their preferred composition. Students who complete 1 painting during the workshop may design the composition of their second painting on their own using objects provided by DARA.
- Mornings | Lecture / Demo / Practice: Mornings begin with a group discussion led by Diego, together with live step-by-step painting demonstrations. Demonstrations cover a range of topics, from sketching, to palette organization, to color mixing, to painting in layers. Lectures & demos typically comprise the first 45 to 90 minutes of the morning lesson. Afterwards, students focus on their individual paintings with personal feedback from Diego.
- Afternoon | Practice: Students paint from life with personal critique from Diego.
Financial AidYou may be eligible for funding for this workshop from Werktuig PPO (permanente professionele ontwikkeling, or “continuous professional development”) if the following applies to you:
- You are employed by a Dutch company or organization in the creative or cultural sector.
- You are a self-employed freelancer in the Netherlands in the creative or cultural sector.
How can I check if I am eligible?
Businesses within the creative or cultural sectors are categorized by SBI code.
The list of eligible SBI codes can be found here.
How does this funding scheme work?
Werktuig PPO finances one-third of the total cost of the course, with the remaining amount to be contributed by you or your employer.
Are you interested in enrolling in multiple courses at DARA? Werktuig PPO offers a maximum contribution of € 2000 in funds per 12 months.
How can I apply?
Apply online at: https://werktuigppo.nl/
Applications must be submitted by students. DARA is not affiliated with Werktuig PPO and cannot apply on a student’s behalf. Questions regarding this funding scheme may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Can students at DARA apply for the STAP budget?
Not at this time.
Are there any other discounts or scholarships available for workshops at DARA?
Not at this time.