back to all workshops > constructive portrait drawing
DATES: 3 to 7 July 2023 | 5 days, 30 instructed hours total
TIMES: 9:30 to 16:30 (lunch from 12:30 to 13:30)
INSTRUCTOR: Oliver Sin
LIMIT: 15 students maximum
COST: € 820
INCLUDED WITH COST: Daily lunch & refreshments, easels, drawing boards
NOT INCLUDED: All other course materials (see below), accommodation, travel fare
RECOMMENDED LEVEL: Intermediate to Advanced drawing level
* This workshop is selective. Oliver is selecting students for his class based on samples of your work uploaded to your application, and a brief statement about what you wish to learn. Students are selected based on Oliver's determination of who will most benefit from the workshop.
This workshop is full. All incoming applications are now placed on a waiting list.
ABOUT THIS COURSE
- In this master class with American artist Oliver Sin, students will learn to make competent portrait drawings from life. Through step-by-step demonstrations, Oliver will help students to better understand the structure of the face in terms of shapes, plane changes, and value through the use of lines and tonal rendering.
Over the course of 30 hours of instruction, students will learn the techniques of mastering expressive portraiture drawings with vine charcoal on white drawing paper, as well as pastel pencils on tonal papers, all from live models. Oliver will offer lectures on a wide array of topics, including artistic anatomy, proportion, form, and how to effectively convey mood.
Oliver shares over 20 years of professional teaching experience with his students, providing hands-on instruction with a strong knowledge in breaking down the drawing process.
Course MaterialsThe following materials are required for participation in this course.
Buying supplies at DARA?
Items on the list marked * are available to buy at the atelier.
- A pad of white drawing paper, minimum A2 size, medium texture surface (not too smooth), 100 gsm (Oliver prefers Strathmore paper)
- 2 sheets of toned grey paper, minimum A2 size, medium surface
- A pad of tracing paper, A4 size
- 3 sticks willow charcoal, 6mm or wider
- 3 sticks extra soft vine charcoal, 6mm or wider
- 4B and 6B graphite drawing pencils
- White pastel / charcoal pencil
- Kneaded eraser
- Final fixative spray for charcoal/pastel
- STUDIO HOURS
- 9:00 | Studio doors open
- 9:30 to 12:30 | Morning lessons
- 12:30 to 13:30 | Lunch break
- 13:30 to 16:30 | Afternoon lessons
- 17:00 | Studio closed
- Mornings | Lectures & Demos: Morning lessons consist of lectures and step-by-step demonstrations from Oliver on a range of topics: starting with anatomy, structure, and construction on the first days of the course, and progressing to more expressive rendering and shading techniques. Demos generally comprise most or all of the morning lesson. (If there is time left over before the lunch break, students will begin drawing from the model.)
- Afternoons | Practice: Students draw from the model with one-on-one guidance from Oliver.
Financial AidYou may be eligible for funding for this workshop from Werktuig PPO (permanente professionele ontwikkeling, or “continuous professional development”) if the following applies to you:
- You are employed by a Dutch company or organization in the creative or cultural sector.
- You are a self-employed freelancer in the Netherlands in the creative or cultural sector.
How can I check if I am eligible?
Businesses within the creative or cultural sectors are categorized by SBI code.
The list of eligible SBI codes can be found here.
How does this funding scheme work?
Werktuig PPO finances one-third of the total cost of the course, with the remaining amount to be contributed by you or your employer.
Are you interested in enrolling in multiple courses at DARA? Werktuig PPO offers a maximum contribution of € 2000 in funds per 12 months.
How can I apply?
Apply online at: https://werktuigppo.nl/
Applications must be submitted by students. DARA is not affiliated with Werktuig PPO and cannot apply on a student’s behalf. Questions regarding this funding scheme may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Can students at DARA apply for the STAP budget?
Not at this time.
Are there any other discounts or scholarships available for workshops at DARA?
Not at this time.